Sunday, July 27, 2008

Damn Yankees

The virtual ink was just drying on my post about my strict no-Yankees policy on my fantasy teams, when something ironic happened: Yankees GM Brian Cashman took a real-life interest in two of my Flyin' Squirrels, OF Xavier Nady and closer Damaso Marte, and put them in pinstripes. Now, this is a quandary. I do go out of my way to avoid acquiring Yankees for my fantasy teams, but what do I do when the Yankees acquire heretofore unspoilt players, like my poor unsuspecting former Pittsburgh Pirates?

Well, in Marte's case, it's simple. His value was as a closer, and I needed saves from him. But with that pesky #42 still occupying that role in the Bronx bullpen, my decision was made for me: Drop him. He has only the most minimal fantasy value at this point. I added back Okajima, who admittedly may not have much more value than Marte, but at least he's one of the good guys.

With Nady, it's not so cut-and-dried. Or is it? One of my best FA acquisitions of the season (I picked him up in week 1 after someone dropped him), I've grown accustomed to his face -- and his excellent production: 51 runs, 13 HRs, 57 RBI, .327 BA. But with his outstanding first half now in the bank, if you look at his averages and projections, I can really only expect 7 more HRs from him. He's not going to steal me any bases, which I desperately need. And his average can be expected to fall back toward the .280 area, and switching leagues isn't likely to help. Mr. Nady, as much as I've enjoyed having him as a Squirrel, will now become trade-bait in fantasyland, too.

1 comment:

Jeff Cutler said...

When will this blog have more posts? Last one was about Brady the out-of-wedlock baby maker and the #hatriots back in 2008. How about something new?